Google+ Peter and Kira Jay: Held Hostage

Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Held Hostage


So I'm being held hostage in my apartment complex right now. It's been that way since about 10:30 am this morning. I actually did not realize it until after 11 am when I was going to head out to get Pete. I started to driving out to leave my complex and got about half way through when I noticed a truck parked so that it blocked the road. There were two guys standing by the truck and one of them was signaling for me to go back the way I came. I thought that's weird, I can't get out of my apartment the way I just came from. So I rolled down my window to see what was going on. He said something but I could not understand him. So I yelled "what?" and he said "There's a guy in a truck with a gun" and pointed to the front of the complex. Upon hearing that I immediately turned my car around and called Pete. I called Pete to let him know I would not be able to pick him up from work and take him to the Law Institute. Luckily we have great friends and JJ was able to go pick Pete up from Graphics Packaging.
Being a curious person I decided to take a short walk and go talk to some people I'd seen a ways up from the crazy guy with the gun. I found a couple of guys chatting and watching the scene and asked them what was going on. One of the guys told me that the guy had threatened a family member and it had escalated to the point where he was threatening to kill himself. So I watched and chatted with these two guys for a little while and then decided it was way too hot so I went back to my apartment to change my clothes and charge my cell phone.
I went back to see what was going on about 30 min later and the only thing different was that more people had come out to see what was going on and the SWAT team had shown up. While standing and chatting some dumb girl drove by and we all thought she was going to drive right up to the guy in the truck and all the cops. She squeezed past the truck with the two cops in it who had stopped me earlier. The cops jumped out of the truck and about that time the girl apparently woke up and realized that there were about 20 cop cars in front of her and started into reverse. We all had a good laugh at her. I'm sure she was feeling pretty dumb afterward because she did not stop and ask what was going on like all the other people who had tried to leave but realized they could not.
Someone made the comment that they wished they had a video camera. Thanks to my parents, I happened to have one inside our apartment, so I went back to the apartment grabbed a sandwich (I was starving and needed something to enjoy the live action) the video camera and my cell phone. I came back and joined about 5 other people watching the crazy guy. Several other people came out and we all took some pictures and chatted about what was going on. The SWAT team brought out their robot which wheeled over to the suicidal guy and gave him what we believe was a cell phone or walkie talkie. At about 2:00 we saw a cop with a big bag of McDonalds. One of the guys standing and watching with me commented that he was hungry and wanted some food too and wondered why the cops could go out and get food but we couldnt. Come to find out the McDonalds was actually for the guy with the guns in his truck. The robot took the McDonalds over to the truck and left it on the hood. I have a video of the guy opening his door and grabbing the McDonalds with a gun or some kind of pole and then getting back in his truck. About twent minutes after that a cop came over to us and told us all that we were aggravating the guy in the truck. The cop also said the guy had a bunch of guns and ammunition and some of his guns could reach where we were standing and told us to all go inside our apartments. He said that if we came out again he would press criminal charges against us. I don't think any of us would have been out there to begin with if they would have told us not to be out there. They also should have let us know sooner if we were in any type of danger. Maybe they were about to take him down and they did not want a bunch of people to witness it. So now i'm stuck in my apartment wondering what is happening with no way to leave. They have our whole apartment complex blocked off. They even have part of Rice Mine blocked and the apartment complex next to us has police at it too so we can't escape that way either.
I'll post later about how it all ended.
I snapped a bunch of pictures of the ordeal. Here are some of them:


The white truck has the guy with the guns in it. The blue truck is the one blocking anyone from getting out. Where the cones are is where the dumb girl tried to drive through. After she did that they put the cones up.
I also walked out to Snows Mill and took a picture of all the cop cars and SWAT cars. The picture above is that picture. The entrance to our apartment complex is where you can see the side of the police car. All of those cars and truck belong to cops. Next to where I was standing and up the street were some fire trucks.
The SWAT robot is in front of the truck putting the McDonalds on the hood.

SWAT team
All kinds of cops.

2 comments:

Tay and Teigan said...

holy cow, that's a crazy couple of days for ya'll! glad you are safe and sound, however it ended!

Mink News said...

Dang, sounds crazy down in the dirty south! :) just kidding... but seriously is crazy.