Google+ Peter and Kira Jay: Triathletes

Thursday, May 29, 2008

Triathletes

Kira and I are officially triathletes. We competed in our first sprint triathlon last Saturday. It was a 200 yard swim, an 8 1/2 mile bike ride, and a 2 mile run. The race was up in Birmingham near Vulcan Park. We have been training for a couple months now, although we just barely bought our bikes a week before, so we didn't train on them much. Instead we just trained in the bike class at the gym for the bike part of the race.

We actually did pretty good for our first race, except on the biking, because our bikes were so bad for road racing. We just bought some cheap ones at a local sports store, and they slowed us down a lot. They were mountain bikes with mountain bike tires, while the best triathletes all had nice, expensive, aerodynamic road racing bikes.

We started swimming a couple months ago. It turns out that Kira is a natural swimmer. She is a faster swimmer than me. She swam the 200 yards in 4 minutes and I swam it in 5 minutes. I ran about 8 and 1/2 minute miles and Kira ran 9 minute miles.

We forgot to bring our camera to take pictures on the race, but we do have some pictures of us training on our bikes. There is a nice bike trail along the Black Warrior River here in Tuscaloosa just down the street from where we live.




6 comments:

Rebecca said...

I am so proud of you guys! I'm coming with you on the next one!

Damon said...

Wow. Nice work! Sitting here eating M&M's while I read this is making me feel kind of lazy.

April Lauren said...

Aww, that is such a great accomplishment! You guys are awesome!

Tay and Teigan said...

ya'll are studs! good job!

Mink News said...

Hey!!!That is so awesome you guys did that together! How fun, I am pretty much jealous, but so happy for you. I love stuff like that. Seriously, way to go! Are you guys going to keep it up? I personally think you should, you are basically naturals! A long time ago when I checked your blog there wasn't anything on it, but now that I know, I am glad, cause I have been wondering how you are! What are you guys doing this summer? It was fun to see your blog, and I love the top picture!

Thad said...

I'm impressed by the triathlon and all the activities ya'll are getting involved in while here. You're inspiring me to do more.