Google+ Peter and Kira Jay: Camping

Sunday, May 18, 2008

Camping

Pete bought me a tent for my birthday because I have been wanting to go camping for a long time. We decided to break it in this weekend by camping at Lake Lurleen State Park Friday night. I checked the weather forecast when I was at work Friday and when I saw that the weather was actually going to be cool Friday night we decided to take advantage of it. It's usually pretty hot and humid already this time of year so we lucked out getting a cool weekend.
We brought our air mattress to sleep on inside the tent. Our air mattress is two feet high so it basically took up the entire tent...we were very comfortable though. That's me attempting to blow up the mattress below. It was a lot more complicated than you'd think to fill up such a large mattress inside a tent.
Pete collected fire wood while I tried to blow up the air mattress. (Pete actually wound up finishing blowing the mattress up because I was having some difficulty but at least I tried to help out).
We had a big storm come through Alabama the day before our camping trip. The rain from the storm made all the wood we collected very wet. It took us a while to get the fire going because the wood was wet and we neglected to bring any lighter fluid. Luckily Pete is a great boy scout and was able to get the fire going. We just had to wait for the fire to get hot enough to dry out the wood and then burn. We dumped a ton of leaves and pine needles on that fire before it finally burned correctly. We brought hot dogs and stuff to make smores. Below is a picture of Pete roasting our hot dogs.
I love camping and roasting things over a camp fire! We had a lot of fun..Here's a couple pictures of me roasting marshmallow's in our camping chairs.Our campsite had a nice view of Lake Lurleen. We went on a walk Saturday morning and hung out on a dock over the lake. We watched some cool birds that were flying around the dock for a while. I'd never been so fascinated by birds before. It was fun watching how they fly through the air and interact with each other and the sounds that they make. I wish I could fly like the birds were. Anyway we had a good time camping and plan on doing it a lot more often. We want to go visit other areas around Alabama and the south and just bring our tent to camp instead of staying in hotels. Here are a few more pics from our camping trip.



6 comments:

Annalie said...

I'm jealous, I want to go camping sooo bad but every time we decide to go it rains or something like that! It looks like you guys had fun though.

Candice said...

You guys look like you had a lot of fun! I love camping, now I want to go!

Joni said...

That looks way fun. Hopefully we can go this weekend. I'll make Aaron blow up the air mattress in the tent I think. I hope you guys CAN come out for the summer. It would be great to see you! These pictures show Kira doing all the work Pete--while you roasted hot dogs and stood around. She deserved to sleep in.

Rebecca said...

Gosh EVERYONE I know is going camping but me!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't stand it! I want to go camping so bad! We didn't go camping at all last summer so I am really itchin' to go! How fun for you guys that you just said let's go! Good for you!! Can I come next time???!

Alexandria said...

Hi Kira & Pete, it does look like you had fun....but I'll stick with hotels...something about running hot water and room service just seems to fit me better:) Hope you had a wonderful birthday Kira!!

April Lauren said...

I am doing really good. I am glad to be done with school, thinking about law school or grad school and looking for a job in the real world close to home! :)

The puppy is a Pekingese. I do not have her yet. She is too little.

I thought I commented on here the other day, but now I do not see it! I can be quite technologically inept! Your camping trip looked like a blast!

How are you guys?! I am very sorry to read about your Aunt Joy, my condolences to you and your family. If you need anything at all, just call me! I will be in and out of town for the next month.